UK: Man rescued from sea after multiple explosions onboard boat 6 miles off Littlehampton – 281113 1435z

A man has been rescued after he abandoned a boat which suffered multiple explosions during a fire.
He had tried fighting the blaze, but abandoned the Margaret Rose six miles off Littlehampton when it become engulfed with flames.
The skipper called 999 and Solent Coastguard coordinated a rescue operation to recover him from his life-raft around10amtoday.
The Coastguard search and rescue helicopter from Lee-on-Solent was deployed, along with RNLI lifeboats from Shoreham and Littlehampton. Littlehampton Coastguard Rescue Team were also on standby.
The man was recovered by the Littlehampton RNLI lifeboat and returned safely to shore. He didnt sustain any injuries.
Shoreham RNLI lifeboat remains on scene to monitor the boat, which is still on fire.
Jenna Smith, Watch Officer for Solent Maritime Rescue Coordination Centre, said: This was a very dangerous situation and required a swift response.
The boat was well alight and very hazardous, as it is carrying around 150 litres of diesel and two gas canisters.
We continue to monitor the situation and have advised boats to stay away from the immediate vicinity of the incident.
Update: 11:55am

Thecasualtywas met and checked over by Littlehampton Coastguard Rescue Team. He had no apparent injuries.

Update: 12:15pm

There are no reports of any pollution.

Update: 1:10pm

TheMargaret Rose has now sunk. MCA

Littlehampton Lifeboat on Facebook:

Littlehamptons RNLI Atlantic 85 Iifeboat Blue Peter 1 launched on service at 9:30am to the motor vessel Margaret Rose which was on fire 8 miles south east of Littlehampton harbour entrance.

The owner had taken to his liferaft and paddled away from the craft and watched with dismay. He was wearing a lifejacket and called for help using his mobile phone.
Littlehampton Lifeboat arrived on scene at 9:49am coinciding with the arrival of the coastguard rescue helicopter. The lifeboat crew found that the sole occupant of the fishing boat had successfully launched and climbed aboard his liferaft. The survivor was unharmed, and was recovered from the liferaft by the lifeboat crew and returned to the lifeboat station. Shoreham Lifeboat remained on scene and stood by the burning wreck, which has subsequently sunk.Our photos (G: top & below) taken by the lifeboat crew show the burning boat as the lifeboat approached, and the liferaft as it is recovered ashore, photo by Eddie Mitchell. (All photos credit: RNLI)


RNLI | Goaty’s News

Goaty's News welcomes your replies. Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.