UK: Search for missing boy, 14, at West Beach, Newhaven called off – 271013 2200z

Lifeboat in foreground, helicopter in distance searching Seaford Bay for 14 yr old boy (Photo credit: @nataliebbc)

SOLENT COASTGUARD SEARCH FOR MISSING BOY

Sunday, 27 October 2013

Solent Coastguard are searching for a missing boy who was last seen playing in the surf at West Beach, Newhaven approximately 10 meters offshore.
Solent Coastguard was alerted to the missing boy via 999 calls and the local National Coast watch Institution. Coastguard Rescue Teams from Newhaven and Burling Gap are searching the area. Solent Coastguard requested the Newhaven RNLI lifeboat to the scene, a Coastguard Rescue helicopter is also searching for the boy.
The search conditions on scene are very difficult for the rescue teams involved, with rough seas and poor visibility.
Solent Coastguard Watch Manager, Steve Mann said
�This weekend we have been expecting hurricane-force winds and we are urging people to take extra care.The crashing waves are spectacular to watch but also extremely dangerous. HM Coastguard�s advice is simple: don�t take risks. But if you do get into difficulty, or spot someone who might be in trouble, call 999 and ask for the Coastguard.� � MCA

Other Reports

The Argus

Breaking news Huge search for boy, 14, who is missing off beach in Newhaven after playing in the waves

A webcam image of the rescue operation at Newhaven. Click on the link at the bottom of the story to view the live webcam. A �Webcam image of the rescue operation at Newhaven. Click on the link at the bottom of the story to view the live webcam.

A 14-year-old boy is feared to have drowned after getting caught up in rough seas off Newhaven.

The local boy, who has not been named, was swimming with a friend at 4.15pm today when he disappeared under the waves.

A full search was immediately launched with police, coastguards and paramedics immediately attending the scene.

The friend was not swept off and is safe.

A Sussex Police spokesman told The Argus at 5pm: �Police and coastguard are currently in West Beach, Newhaven, looking for a 14-year-old local boy who drifted off when he was swimming with a friend at 4.15pm.

�The search is ongoing.�

He urged people against swimming as strong winds were predicted and said the police would release more information as they had it.

He said:��This is a very distressing incident and everything possible is being done to try to find the boy.�

Meanwhile all agencies remind people of the dangers of being at seashores in adverse weather, especially in view of the approaching severe weather conditions overnight. The advice is straightforward � stay clear.

A Newhaven resident, who was at the beach, said: �I saw lads playing chicken by the harbour arm where there were really high waves and one went in.�

Discussing the incident on Facebook, a woman said: �I heard a little boy has been swept out to sea.�

Another person said: �It�s big whatever it is we�ve just been down and the road is closed. Eight or nine police cars and helicopter out.�

Other people said lifeboat workers on roads were being lowered into the sea.

The Solent Coastguard says�search conditions on scene are very difficult for the rescue teams involved, with rough seas and poor visibility.

Watch Manager, Steve Mann said: �This weekend we have been expecting hurricane-force winds and we are urging people to take extra care.

�The crashing waves are spectacular to watch but also extremely dangerous. HM Coastguard�s advice is simple: don�t take risks.

�But if you do get into difficulty, or spot someone who might be in trouble, call 999 and ask for the Coastguard.�

Update 1850Z:

Boy swept out to sea at Newhaven

27 October 2013

At 4.15pm on Sunday 27 October emergency services were called to West Beach at Newhaven after a 14-year old local boy had been swept away while swimming at the shore with friends. An immediate search was begun involving police, Coastguard and the in-shore lifeboat.

The friends were not swept off and are safe.

A Sussex Police spokesman said: �this is a very distressing incident and everything possible is being done to try to find the boy.�

Meanwhile all agencies remind people of the dangers of being at seashores in adverse weather, especially in view of the approaching severe weather conditions overnight. The advice is straightforward � stay clear.

Chief Inspector Katy Woolford added; �Both we and the Coastguard have received reports during the afternoon of people being dangerously near water edge in places as far apart as Seaford and Brighton. Please, at least until the imminent severe weather abates, stay clear of the seashore for your own safety, and in order to help the emergency services to be available to deal with other incidents.�

Newhaven lifeboat search for teenager washed into sea

(Video credit:Newhaven Lifeboat/RNLI)

Published on Oct 27, 2013

Newhaven lifeboat continues (G: now called off) to search for a missing teenager who was washed into the sea west of the main breakwater at approximately 4:20 pm today.

The lifeboat is being assisted by local Coastguard teams on the beach and Coastguard helicopter Rescue 104.

The lifeboat is battling a large backwash from the West Arm in what are extremely tough conditions

Update 2200Z: RNLI Search called off – Sky News

 

Goaty's News welcomes your replies. Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s