US: Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, 2nd Boston Marathon bomb suspect captured alive, wounded – 200413 0700z


(Photo: Dzhokhar Tsarnaev has been taken to hospital with serious injuries

Boston Bombings: Second Suspect In Custody

“The second Boston bombing suspect has been captured after he was found hiding in a boat parked in a suburban backyard.

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, who was already wounded from an earlier shootout, exchanged gunfire with police for an hour while holed up in the boat in the neighbourhood ofWatertown.

The dramatic stand-off ended with the 19-year-old being given first aid on the lawn next to the boat before he was taken away in an ambulance.

Dzhokhar remains in “serious condition” at Beth Israel Deaconess hospital,said Boston police commissioner Ed Davis.

Swat teams surrounded the boat after a tip-off from a resident who noticed blood on it, Mr Davis said.

The man lifted the cover of the boat, saw the teenager covered in blood and alerted police.

A police helicopter then used infra-red equipment to confirm there was a human inside the boat.

Dzhokharhad been on the run since his 26-year-old brother and fellow suspect Tamerlan Tsarnaev – known as suspect number one – was killed in a shoot-out with police in the early hours of Friday.

The brothers were believed to be behind Monday’s twin explosions at the Boston Marathon which left three people dead and around 180 wounded.

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev
This image appears to show the capture of Dzhokhar

During their getaway attempt, they killed Massachusetts Institute of Technology policeman Sean Collier and severely wounded another officer, authorities said.

A crowd of residents cheered as Dzhokhar Tsarnaev- known as suspect number two – was taken into custody, and the celebrations continued into the night in the city’s streets.

Mayor Tom Menino said on Twitter: “We got him”.

Boston Police tweeted: “CAPTURED!!! The hunt is over. The search is done. The terror is over. And justice has won. Suspect in custody.”

The family of eight-year-old Martin Richard, who died in the bombings, released a statement praising police.

“Tonight, our family applauds the entire law enforcement community for a job well done, and trust that our justice system will now do its job,” the family said.

Members of the public cheer as police officers leave the scene where Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, suspect in Boston Marathon bombings, was taken into custody in Watertown
Residents cheered after the suspect was caught

Martin’s mother also sustained brain injuries and his sister lost a leg in the blast.

US President Barack Obama told a news conference the suspect’s capture “closed an important chapter in this tragedy”.

But he said there were still many unanswered questions about the marathon bombings, including whether the two men had help from others.

As Dzhokhar was being captured, three people in New Bedford, Massachusetts, were also takeninto custody for questioning over the blasts.

Lieutenant Robert Richard said two men and a woman were being questioned by the FBI “on theassumption there is an affiliation with suspect number two”.

uploaded from  Tamerlan Tsarnaev .jpg
Tamerlan Tsarnaev was interviewed by the FBI in 2011

Dzhokhar’s capture came at the end of a tumultuous all-day manhunt and house-to-house search by thousands of elite police officers.

As night fell, police announced that they were scaling back the hunt and they had so far come up empty-handed.

But shortly after that statement, a break came in Watertownwhen the homeowner – who had been indoors all day due to the manhunt – saw the blood on his boat.

The vessel had not been searched before because it was outside of the police perimeter set up during the search.

Residents clear out of their homes as police officers search house to house for the second suspect in the Boston Marathon bombings in a neighborhood of Watertown
Thousands of officers combed the streets of Boston for Dzhokhar

It has also been revealed thatTamerlanattracted the attention of US authorities two years ago.

The FBI said its agents interviewed him in 2011 at the request of a foreign government, but that the investigation found “no derogatory information”, according to an official.

The FBI declined to identify the country involved or the nature of the probe.

The brothers moved to the US a decade ago from a Russian region near Chechnya and had been living in Cambridge, Massachusetts, as legal permanent residents.

Their father, Anzor Tsarnaev, told reporters in Russia that he believed his sons had been framed and described the killing of Tamerlan as “cowardly”.

Maret Tsarnaeva, the men’s aunt, said Tamerlan had recently become a devout Muslim who prayed five times a day.

Speaking to reporters at her home in Toronto, Canada, she also said the older brother was married and had a daughter in the US.” – Sky News

President Obama Speaks On Police Arrest Of Dzhokhar Tsarnaev

(Video credit: BestViews4Life)

CNN On Boston Bombing Shootout Suspect Capture

(Video credit:theattorneydepot)

Moment the police announce capture of second Boston Marathon bomber over police scanner.

(Video credit:asianimpuls)

Video: Second Boston bomber suspect, Dzhokhar A. Tsarnaev, in custody – moment the police announce his capture over police scanner.

Resident talks about suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev hiding out in her neighbourhood.

(Video credit:77bakimci)

Video: Resident Robin Dumas talks about suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev hiding out in her neighbourhood.

Amateur Video- Police Swarm Tsarnaev Hideout

(Video credit:fastnewss)

Video: Amateur video captured the tense moments as authorities swarmed a neighborhood where 19-year-old Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, a suspect in the Boston Marathon bombings was hiding.

‘We Got Him’

(Video credit:MrSelamatRet)

Video: Police announce Dzhokhar Tsarnaev capture.

The Boston Globe

WATERTOWN Four days after two deadly explosions turned the finish line of the Boston Marathon into a scene of bloody chaos, the 19-year-old college student believed to be responsible for placing the bombs was taken into custody tonight, bringing a sense of relief and justice to a shaken region.

Dzhokhar A. Tsarnaev of Cambridge was pulled from his hiding place in a boat parked behind a house on Franklin Street shortly before 8:45 p.m. in this community just outside Boston.

We are eternally grateful for the outcome here tonight. We have a suspect in custody, said Colonel Timothy Alben, commander of the State Police. Were so grateful to bring justice and closure to this case.

Its a night where I think were all going to rest easy, Governor Deval Patrick said at a news conference in Watertown.

With the second suspect in the case, Tsarnaevs brother, Tamerlan Tsarnaev, 26, fatally shot in a gun battle with police early this morning, Boston Police Commissioner Edward F. Davis said, citizens can be confident that the threat has been removed.

President Obama, speaking at the White House tonight, said, Weve closed an important chapter in this tragedy. But he also said there were still many unanswered questions and said the FBI would thoroughly investigate.

Dzohkhar Tsarnaev, who exchanged gunfire with police from the boat, was rushed to a local hospital, where he was in serious condition, Davis said.

Police had approached him cautiously, worried that he might be wearing a suicide bomb vest.

We got him, Boston Mayor Thomas M. Menino tweeted immediately afterwards. He took to the police radio to thank officers personally, telling them, Good job, guys!

The apprehension of Tsarnaev was the latest stunning development in a day of mayhem that had shocked the city, even as it was still reeling from Mondays Marathon attacks. An MIT police officer was killed, assassinated, Thursday night in Cambridge. Then a carjacking was reported. Officers pursued the car, which turned out to contain the two Tsarnaevs, who threw explosives at them.

The elder brother was shot by police early Friday in a gun battle in Watertown, in which fficials said they wielded improvised explosive devices and homemade grenades. Dzhokhan Tsarnaev was so desperate to escape he ran over his brother as he lay wounded. He later abandoned the car in Watertown and fled on foot, disappearing from sight.

Law enforcement mobilized, sending legions of heavily-armed police officers to search a 20-block area of the community. At the same time, Governor Deval Patrick took an unprecedented security step, asking people in Boston, Watertown, and several other nearby communities totaling a million people to shelter in place stay at home behind locked doors and open up only to police officers with proper identification.

Government and business offices closed as police cars zoomed on mysterious errands on deserted streets. The Red Sox and Bruins games were canceled, as well as the Big Apple Circus. Amtrak was shut down from Boston to Providence, as well as the MBTA, the Boston areas public transit system. The region came to a standstill.

Then, at 6 p.m., officials held another news conference to say that despite the massive manhunt, they had come up empty. The suspect had slipped outside their perimeter. Officials said they remained determined to find him, however, and that they believed he was somewhere still in Massachusetts. Patrick dropped his request for people to shelter in place and ordered the MBTA to resume service.

The dramatic finale came less than an hour after the news conference was over. A resident of Watertown came out of his house and noticed blood on his boat and that the tarp covering it was ripped. He lifted the tarp and saw a bloody form. He called police, who raced to the scene and exchanged gunfire with Tsarnaev, said Davis, the Boston commissioner

Police surrounded the boat and there was a standoff for about an hour and a half. A State Police helicopter peeked at him from above, using a special infrared camera. Police deployed flash bang grenades to stun and distract him, Davis said. Police were cautious in their approach, concerned that Tsarnaev could be wearing a suicide bomb vest.

A Globe photographer at the scene could hear police calling, We know youre in there. Come out on your own terms. Come out with your hands up.

An FBI hostage rescue team was eventually able to pull him out.

In yet another twist in the story, New Bedford police said this evening that three people had been taken into custody in their city as part of the bombing investigation.

New Bedford Police Lieutenant Robert Richard said his department assisted federal investigators in executing a search warrant at a home on Carriage Drive, about 10 minutes from the University of Massachusetts at Dartmouth, where Tsarnaev was a student.

MIT Police Officer Sean Collier, 26, of Somerville, who was fatally shot while sitting in his cruiser near Main and Vassar streets in Cambridge, in what Davis called an assassination, was remembered as a brave and devoted officer.

MBTA Transit Police Officer Richard H. Donahue Jr., 33, who was shot as officers pursued the Tsarnaevs into Watertown, was in critical but stable condition at Mt. Auburn Hospital.

Scott Helman, Marcella Bombardieri, Brian MacQuarrie, Martine Powers, and Maria Sacchetti of the Globe staff and Globe correspondents Todd Feathers, Lauren Dezenski, Jeremy C. Fox, Haven Orecchio-Egresitz, Jaclyn Reiss, and Gal Tziperman Lotan contributed to this report.” – Boston Globe



One thought on “US: Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, 2nd Boston Marathon bomb suspect captured alive, wounded – 200413 0700z

Goaty's News welcomes your replies. Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s